Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Pocket PC

The com port for my palm 505 has been dead for a while, and I was binded to use the IR to sync the data. Dead slow.

It's almost the end of the Palm era. So I start looking Pocket PC and try to find a replacement. what I find is, a mess of it.

For brand, HP is the best, and Dell comes next. However, they are very large in size and I can't imagine putting it in the inside pocket of my jacket.

Regarding the OS, the Windows Mobile 5 is on it way, and new models in the market are using WM 5. However, no Chinese program is available for this OS! At least for the moment. The old Windows Mobile 2003 has more support, but yet, it store all data in the RAM. When the battery dies, you have to re-install all the program! How stupid.

Maybe I should paying a little bit more for the O2. However, the O2 Atoms is on it's way and will launch this Dec....

In short, no choice.

3 comments:

Sonic said...

Palm幾好用丫, 買個USB->COM 咪得law...

Frankie Chu said...

Just pick up a sub-HK$2K Palm and be happy for the next couple of years.

A friend who bought the current HP PocketPC Mobile phone returned it the next day: it never worked properly. Poor reception and all SMS mesgs go into the bit bucket, not to mention mid-call crashes. Syncing between Office Outlook and his phone never worked properly. He paid a bit more for a Treo 650 and has been happy since.

My boss has the big O2. He hardly ever uses it.

PPC is not worth the trouble.

Toby Chiu said...

Maybe I just spend $200 or so to fix my 505. I have no interest to view MP4 on the go, and I already have my iPod shuffle. So really no problem with the multi-media junky. I am also not interested to use PDA phone - I am always very careless with my phone, drops and losses are common.

The only 2 area I wanted to improve:
- mobile web (GPRS and/or wi-fi)
- a better display for photo album (the screen of 505 is crap).

For Palm, it's going to launch new devices running Windows Mobile 5. So the future is unclear. The Tunsten seems good in spec, but it's bulky (compare to 505) and doesn't have built-in wi-fi.

So I am now sync-ing my 505 over IR, and prepare to take it out for a repair tomorrow.