Friday, June 22, 2007

Heart Rate Monitor problem

My rest heart rate is 58, and my calculated max. rate is 180. But even when I slowdown my jog tonight, my average rate is at approx 160bpm, max. rate is 17x, more than 90% of my max rate. At over 90% of heart rate, it should had been a very hard training for me.... but I felt very comfortable. So I am very puzzle: what's the problem? Is it possible that my max. heart rate is higher than the calculated estimate?

Another problem is, the Casio CHR100 interfered with my iPod. I have to switch-off the iPod to get an accurate reading on the CHR100. I will try to wear the iPOD on another arm to see what happen next time.

2 comments:

Frankie Chu said...

Heart rate of 58 at rest for a chain smoker at your age: you are either uber fit, or the reading is wrong.

I suspect your watch comes with a small but very thick manual. Check the bit on calibration.

I like my Casio Pro Trek Triple Sensor quite a lot, but there is no argument that Sunntos are just better designed and made, and I wouldn't really trust those features on my Pro Trek.

Toby Chiu said...

I measured my rest rate at 3 mornings, all at 58-60 BPM. I also checked my pulse and it's approx. 1 beat per second. So 58 should be the correct figure.

A rest rate of 58 is not really very fit. Most pros have rest rate below 50.