Sunday, June 26, 2005

Stall

When I drive to work yesterday morning, the engine stalled at the second traffic lamp. The rev just drop to zero graduately, without any strange sound or jerk. I started the engine again, and the engine stalled when I stopped at another traffic lamp again. Restarted the engine, I have to drive very carefully and when stopping, I have to beam-up the rev to over 1000 rpm to keep the engine from stalling. I drived back to home, park the car, and take bus to office. The driving take a little skill cause when I stop the car, I have to press the brake and on the gas (to keep the rev) at the same time.

After I back home, I started the engine again, and the engine just perform normally. Without any stalling, rpm as usual.

So my guess is correct. It's the car's security system. For some reason the security system engaged while I was driving (maybe I didn't lock / unlock the car properly for the last night, or maybe the security sensor doesn't recognize the key's chip correctly), and cut the fuel supply when I don't open the throttle. It's simple to fix it: just take the key outside the car, lock the car with the remote, wait for a few second, unlock it again. The security will be dis-engaged.

I believe this kind of security system is quite good. When it engaged, it won't fire any alarm. It just stop the fuel supply. So the thief will have difficult driving the car away. But this system often catch the owner ungarded. And it was the second time. Of course if you know what's happening, you won't panic. I could have fix the problem on the spot.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It might also be a clogged fuel line (or fuel filter) or spark plugs. In case of clogged spark plugs, high reving to about 3500rpm for a while could burn off the deposits and the engine will then run normally again.

Toby Chiu said...

It's not fuel line problem. Fuel supply problem will also including an unstable or jerky rpm to the idol engine.

I am sure it's the security system cutting in.

Frankie Chu said...

1. You managed to drive two blocks and then back, so the security system was not working.

2. Could it be a battery problem?

Toby Chiu said...

Tin:
Actually, I manage to drive for 2 or 3 km. But that's because I have the key and I can restart it everytime it stalled. If somebody bypass the key and jump-start the engine, he will have no choice but to jump-start it again before the red lamp.

And, I am 100% certain it's not the battery problem.

Frankie Chu said...

The car theft/joyrider could have just kept the engine running by keeping the rev up.

You got your keys, yet you still had to keep starting your engine.

So yeah, right, your car's security system was/is working. Windows is the best OS, and TCH wasn't so bad as the CE of HK.

Toby Chiu said...

In a city drive, if you can mangage to keep the rev up and stop the car anytime you need, without stalling, you must have 3 legs. I can do heel-and-toe and double-clutching; but still not able to do that.

Frankie Chu said...

Car thieves do not pick busy hours to do their business, so it's not like they are going to be driving in a typical busy urban setting. Last I heard your live only a few minutes' drive away from a main highway.

In a previous car I owned I once had a bad battery, so the engine was stalling at low rev. The car was driven from the Western district to Aberdeen, and eventually to Tin Wan for change of battery. Driving it needed a lot more care, but I would hardly classify it as a security measure, and certainly no deterrent to any professional car theft.