Thursday, March 08, 2007

Running Shoes

It's a headache to shop running shoes in HK, if you are real serious about it.

I am heavy, jogging on a hard concrete road, moderate pronation, and have knee problem. Therefore I need to be careful to choose the right shoe. Otherwise I'll suffer from knee or muscle pain. I've been there.

Although shoes manufacturers spent a lot of money to design running shoes for different people with different needs, there are not much information around on how to choose one. New Balance has a little leaflet about how their running shoes catagorized, but not very though. Similar info for other brands is not available, not even in their HK websites.

The shop keepers are not knowledgeable enough, even at the Adidas / Nike shops. I shopped in MK tonight, and decided I cannot choose one without searching on the web. Seaching the web for reviews, I am VERY SURPRISED to find that there is a shoes review page under the Singapore Sports Council website!! No wonder Singaporians laughed on the HK Marathron.... They are just more serious in it; versus the HK marathron (especially 10km race) has because a grand walkathron.

Yes, I have some basic idea about which models to choose. May go shopping tomorrow.

2 comments:

Frankie Chu said...

I like Mizunos.

Compare the new NBs and the Mizunos. They look awfully similar. I suspect Mizuno is an OEM for NB.

I have not tried the new Mizuno-alike NB shoes, but as far as the classic NBs go, for a fatty like me, only the classic 99Xs (made in the U.S.A.) are any good. The first pair of 8XX made in the U.K. was very good, but the 2nd pair (got them cheap) was too narrow (despite being the "wide" size) and I gave them to my brother. I have never tried their 1XXX series, for the high cost.

Two pairs of Mizunos so far, and I absolutely love them. My old man tried a pair on, but complained that they were too wide.

I suspect that you'll go thru running shoes fairly quickly if you keep on so they don't last much longer than six to eight months, and it could get costly. Compared with Nike/NB, Mizunos are relatively inexpensive.

Toby Chiu said...

Thanks for your advice, Frankie.

I finally get a Mizuno Wave Inspire 3 this afternoon. Cost me $420.

From the web-reviews, the previous versions Wave Inspire is not very good in cusioning, which is very important for my weight + knee problem. But it was said that the Inspire 3 improved a bit in cusionings, and I really like the lightweight and style of Mizuno, so I give it a try. When tried on, I find Mizuno shoes are quite narrow (no wide size available with my model), so I get 1/2 size bigger than I normally wear. Not a big problem cause I also find my existing shoes narrow.

I am using a Asics 1007 now, and am very satisify with it. I remember when I bought the Asics, I did compare it with Mizuno and found Asic is better for me. Too bad the Asic shoes are no longer available in HK.

Normally, the more expensive shoes are under the catagory of "motion control", which really designed for over-pronators who need extra protection. Such shoes also are more restrited in ankle movements, hence also restricted acclerations and speed. Since I am only slightly pronated, and my jog distance is not really very long, I decided I prefer lighter shoes.

My previous pair of Asics lasted approx. 500km of jogging, that's about 100 times. I am jogging 3-4 time per week lately, so will cover that distance about 30 weeks, or 7 months. You are right that shoes can be expensive.