Thursday, January 04, 2007

Mobile (phone) ad

A discussion of how to use mobile ad.

It's suprising that marketers need to be reminded (as in th article linked) that mobile ad is annoying, and it need to provide value to the customers in exchange.....

Back in Hong Kong, the marketers are still in the stage of cold-calling your phone. I am not exactly familar with the situation for other mobile ad formats, but I understand that there are some SMS ad; very little (if any at all) sponsored contents (eg games); and seeming no banner ad on mobile portal sites......

The Hong Kong market is too small in big-corp's eye. But it's a different story in China: mobile ad is very hot in China; and there is a NASDAQ company now pursuiting this market in China.

I don't have the details about the China scene, but I understand people in China are very familar with it - when you call a restaurant to make bookings, they will be very happy to send the restaurant address to you via SMS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I now set my Nokia phone's Profile to only ring on any calls with a Caller ID that has been Grouped within my Contact List. The calls without Caller IDs, not on my phone's Contact List, or has not been put into specific Groups does not ring nor vibrate. It would then be forwarded to my voicemail. If the caller don't care to leave a voicemail, it is not an important call.

I have also activated the Block-the-Blocker function on my office phone. Anyone that blocked their Caller IDs does not get through at all. Again, if it's an important call, they unblock their Caller IDs.

I also refuse to answer any number that starts with a 3 instead of a 2 as most of these numbers are phone ads. Too bad for those legit callers who'd applied for a phone number that starts with 3. I think most people will catch on soon and at least turn on their "defense mode" when they see a number that starts with a 3.

Like I said, since I did all that, I am back to my tranquil self. Ahhhh~~ happy!

Toby Chiu said...

According to the article, mobile ads work better for gen X and Y. You are just not the target. Sorry James. :)

Anonymous said...

Then they shouldn't have bothered me at all to begin with. ;-p

Toby Chiu said...

James, yes, they shouldn't bother you.

The whole point about mobile targeting is they should target their ad to someone who better receive the message / offer; and avoid sending message to someone who will have negative impression when they receive the message. However, HK is a very small but sophiciated market and it maybe too much works for marketers to carefully target their message in mobile ad.