Friday, January 19, 2007

Sony website

The Sony website... it sucks!

Just bought a new car CD player today.

The radio of the old CD player on my car is not working anymore, so I need to get a new one. I stick with Sony because it can control my old CD changer.

I tried to go to the Sony site to look for more information about car audio, but there are very limited product information. There is no info whatsoever telling me which CD changers the latest models support, nor a good comparision tables about the feature difference of different models... There is also no info about what kind of USB device the CD player accepts... So the Sony site cannot serve the #1 objective of the web: to give information to the customers.

So I go to the shops and ask for advise, and get this model and install it myself. AFTER installation, I click on the Sony website to register my warranty online (for additional 3-month warranty), and the site is not working on Firefox. Switch to IE and re-enter all my information, and it comes to product serial number. There is a photo on the site to tell you how to locate the serial number... but IT'S ON THE PRODUCT!! There is no guide to tell me how to locate the serial number on the box... so I have to do the most silly thing in the world: go to my car, unmount the CD player, for just a quick peek of the serial number!

How silly is that!!

Nevertheless, the quality of the CD player is good. Good sound, perfect match to my old CD changer (and it also matches the supplied remote controller of my old player), convenient feature (such as front USB port to accept USB drivers)...

Product is good. But the site is too fancy and doesn't serve the basic functions of website.

No comments: