Friday, May 20, 2005

Phone card - episode III

I called the customer hotline for my pre-paid phone card (it's a different centre to the SH Unicom hotline), and understand that there should be a nationalwide refill card for my use, and should be available in every major cities in China. Okay. Try again.

First thing this morning is to buy a refill card. First I decide to try the so-called "mobile phone supermarket" nearby. No luck. They only sell mobile phones and do not carry any type of refill cards. Why in the hell so many people buy new mobile phones?

Then I walk 15 mins to a nearby China Unicom Shop. No luck again. They only carry the Shanghai area refill card. The shop managetress is very nice and helpful. Guest what she suggest? She said the refill card is actually available in every newspaper stands and small phone kiosks on the street! And she's right. On my 15 mins way back, I find at least 5 spots selling the nationalwide refill card.... and the smallest kiosk is just a 4 ft table with a cardboard read "we sell refill cards".

Finally I get one )$(%^$)^$#*)$#

Lessons:
- DON'T TRY TO BE SMART. The answers are always right under your feet.
- TRUST PEOPLE. I always worry small kiosks selling fake refill cards, and I was wrong.
- LEARN BEFORE USE. The prepaid phone cards all started with 13X, and 130-135 are all nationalwide prepaid accounts. I just have to tell the kiosks I am using 131 number, and they will give me the correct card.
- READ THE MANUAL. I didn't read the manual much and don't have it with me when I try to buy a refill yesterday.

OK.... IT'S ALL MY FAULT.

No comments: